Friday, December 9, 2011

My Grandmothers Cider Pie

My Grandmother wasn't known for her cooking skills, before age caught up with her she did enjoy and was good at baking though.  A simple pie she would make was a Cider Pie.  I am not sure of where she actually found the original recipe, but it is very easy to make and can in fact be a vegan dish depending on how to create the crust.

Personally I cannot remember what type of crust she made with the pie, but I prefer to make it with a graham cracker crust.  In doing so it does feel that it is a tad healthier for you.  Please excuse the steam in the photo, I took the picture just after I poured the filling into the crust, before it had a chance to chill, I didn't want to forget.


Graham Cracker crust:
  18 graham crackers, crushed (2 packages)
  1/4 cup sugar
  1/2 cup butter, melted
  1/2 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350.

Combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and cinnamon in a bowl, mix well.  Stir in melted butter with a fork until well combined.  Divide mixture between 2 pie pans and firmly press into pan and up sides.

Bake for 15 minutes and aromatic.  Let cool completely before filling.




Grandma's Cider Pie:

1 1/3 cup sugar
10 Tbs cornstarch
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
5 cups cider

Mix dry ingredients in a large pot on the stove, add cider.  Stir and cook constantly until clear over medium high heat.  Pour into a baked pie shell, chill and serve with whipped cream.

1 comment:

  1. I made Grandma Sally's recipe once years ago! I think it takes a lot of cooking/stirring, right? It's sooo good, though!
    ~Holly

    ReplyDelete