Wednesday, November 12, 2014

My Pie Crust

Pie crust is very simple to make, but also very simple to screw up. My favorite method is to do it all in a food processor, that way I don't have to handle it anymore than I have to, and it maintains its flaky texture. Any recipe will do, America's Test Kitchen swears by their crust which uses vodka, I have yet to try it. 

This is the crust I have been using since I was a kid, it is written on a recipe card in my youthful chicken scratch. It can be used in both sweet and savory recipes.

Flaky Pastry for a 2 Crust Pie

2 cups sifted flour
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup shortening (sometimes I use butter, sometimes crisco, sometimes a combo)
4-5 Tbs ice water

Combine flour and salt in food processor, give it a whirl. Cut shortening into small pieces and drop into food processor, pulse in short shots until mixture is the consistency of small peas. One tablespoon at a time add the ice water, pulsing after each addition. Depending on the humidity, you may need more or less. It is ready when it starts to follow around the bowl. Divide in half. 

The key to pie crust it to not over handle it. Very little touching equals a tender crust, if you fondle it to much, it will be hard. So roll with determination, not hesitation and you'll be fine.

If you only need half of the recipe, roll out the other ball, line a pie plate and freeze in a zip lock freezer bag. It will be ready for the next time you need a single crust. 


No comments:

Post a Comment